Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Over-inflated Egos and Not so Nice People

So as everyone knows, at the beginning of this month my roommates decided to kick me out of my own apartment for no reason- no reason meaning they have no given me a reason.  Between modeling, planning for the wedding, and trying to move all of my property to my fiance's house life has been crazy busy.

With that said, my topic today is I just don't understand people's attitudes.  My roommates went from being my good friends who were going to be bridesmaids in my wedding, to bitches who kick me out and refuse to talk to me.  It makes me wonder if they ever even were my friends and how long they have been pretending for.  It's creepy to think about considering all I have done for them thinking I knew who they were.

I also received a message from a photographer on Facebook.  He did not have a page posted on his profile (MM, OMP, etc) but did have some photos posted.  Honestly, they were technically correct- lighting, composition, etc, but they really weren't anything special, they were just nice photos.  Also the girls in the photos for the most part looked like attractive girls, but their poses and facial expressions did not seem like those of a model, more like those of a pretty girl looking to become a model.  Like I said, nothing wrong with that, they were nice photos, but I have been past doing TF shoots for nice photos for a long time.  I was polite and thanked him for his interest and sent him my rates.  Almost immediately he messages me back all huffy with a hurt ego.  The thing that got me most was " I give up to 40 hours of my time with the retouching of many pictures and every model I have worked with will tell you it was worth their time."  Forty hours?  Really?  For the type of photos he was doing- casual, commercial sort of look, very plain- unless these girls had God-awful skin or he does all his lighting in post, why does he need forty hours?  Most shoots I do are about 4-6 hours, that would mean 36-34 hours of post work!  For how many photos?  I saw about maybe 10-15 photos per shoot.  So that's about three to four hours editing each photo!  Why?!  As a busy person I like to do things as efficiently as possible, so why anyone would spend that much time on very Sears family portrait photos is beyond me.  Maybe if you are Michael Rosen who gives out only one photo per shoot because he spends days editing a single photo I can understand, but besides that you're just being ridiculous.

Leading in to my main point- why do photographers think it's an accomplishment to spend gobs of time on editing a handful of photos?  The most common response I receive from inexperienced photographers who think they are a special-snowflake is "I spend X hours on editing my photos, that's why I'm awesome!"  To me that just says you're spending 3 hours dicking around not knowing what you're doing and maybe about 10-20 minutes actually editing the photo.  I work with photographers who spend gobs of time editing photos to get them perfect because they love what they do and the only thing they mention about the time it took is "Hey, here are the photos, I'm sorry it took me so long to send them to you.  I just wanted to make sure the X, Y, and Z were like A, B or C."  I always find it odd that it's the inexperienced photographers who act like jerks and the experienced photographers never say a word about how much effort they put in and how I should grovel and be grateful.

That's my little rant for today, I just wish some photographers would realize that if doing photography and editing photos is a chore then they might not be in the right field and should pursue something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment